What is a Patient Participation Group (PPG)
A typical PPG brings together patients, GPs and staff from a GP practice (or group of practices) They meet regularly to discuss issues relating to their surgery and the services provided to patients. It’s a group organised by the patients for the patients.
PPGs are good for practice staff because
- GPs and staff can work with patients to help plan services which best meet the needs of the people who use those services
- Patients can help the practice to meet its targets and objectives
- GPs and staff have an opportunity to share their ideas with patients.
- They get closer to their community – even more important as GPs take on increasing responsibility for spending more of the NHS budget to plan and buy health services for local people.
“Patient participation can benefit both patients and practices.”
“Having a PPG creates a connection between the practice and its patients; allowing open, constructive discussion and analysis of service provision, and offering an alternative perspective on many of the topics relevant to general practice.”
British Medical Association (BMA) website
What they’re not:
- Is a place to air personal agendas – it’s about being an advocate for all patients of your surgery.
- Is a place to air complaints. Each practice has their own process for dealing with this.
How to Join/ Contact Us
- If you would like to become involved, please complete and return the form below:
- If you would like to contact the Patient Group with any feedback or questions, please use:
Friends of Nuffield House
All patients at Nuffield House are welcome to join the Group. We usually meet at 17:00 (5:00 p.m.) in the surgery on the first Tuesday of each month but the next meeting will be in August 2020.
The Group mainly raises money to buy equipment for the benefit of patients, but also does discuss services at Nuffield House Surgery and current NHS topics.
If you want to know more about Friends of Nuffield House group, please contact the Practice Manager on 01279 213101 and hold for the operator.
Over the years Friends of Nuffield House (previously Nuffield House Users Group) have raised funds to purchase a number of items for the benefit of Nuffield House Surgery patients, e.g:
- ECG machine
- Spirometry machine
- Hydraulic examination couches
- Patient self check-in screen for appointments
- Waiting room chairs, etc.
The Friends are presently raising funds for a 24-hour ECG recorder
Target: £4,000; Raised so far: £1,381