Practice Information

The Practice

Nuffield_BuildingThe practice was founded by Dr Charles Taylor who came to work with the late Dr Norman Booth in Old Harlow. In April 1951, Dr Taylor left Dr Booth’s practice to establish the first General practice in the developing new town. He started first in temporary accommodation in a former lodge house in Stackfield until the conversion of two adjacent semi-detached houses in The Chantry was completed. These original practice premises were known as "Haygarth House".

Once established, Dr Taylor began negotiations with various bodies to develop the novel concept of the Primary Care Team and began the task of designing a purpose-built health centre.

Dr Taylor was soon joined by Dr John Huntley and subsequently by Dr Sandy Findlater and Dr Erica Higgens. The practice moved to purpose-built premises in The Stow in 1955. This Health Centre was financed by the Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust and was opened by Lord Nuffield and named "Nuffield House".

The partners in the practice since its formation have been as follows:

  • Dr Charles Taylor: 1951 to1986
  • Dr John Huntley: 1952 to 1983
  • Dr Sandy Findlater: 1953 to 1969
  • Dr Erica Higgens: 1955 to 1974
  • Dr Shaun Firth: 1970 to 2004
  • Dr Peter Jones: 1975 to 1976
  • Dr Arvind Chhibber: 1976 to 2004
  • Dr Bruce Whitmill: 1984 to 1987
  • Dr Simon Maddock: 1987 to 1994
  • Dr Chirag Parikh: 2004 to 2014
  • Dr David Smalley: 1986 to 2015
  • Dr Elizabeth Ingham: 1989 to 2016
  • Dr Joanna Swainsbury: 1982 to 2016
  • Dr Abishek Bari: April 2016 to September 2016
  • Dr Deboshree Basu: 2007 to 2017
  • Dr Prabha Venkatesh: 2015 to 2017
  • Dr Ahmed Saber: 2014 to 2017
  • Dr Abdus Samee Yahya: 2013 to 2017
  • Dr Ganesh Ramalingam: 2017 to 2018
  • Dr Obianuju Echekoba: 2017 - 2020
  • Dr Sajive Bansal: 1994 to present
  • Dr Felix Kehinde: 2005 to present
  • Dr Chinonye Okwuosa: 2017 to present
  • Dr Olasupo Fatimilehin: 2017 to present 

The Premises

The original Nuffield House was a  purpose-built Health Centre which was opened by Lord Nuffield in 1955. The Centre has never been owned by the Local Health Authority but was financed originally by the Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust as part of an experiment in developing primary care services.

All except two of the town’s surgeries were provided in this way which means that local doctors are in the unusual position of renting modern health centre facilities without any of the possible constraints which can occur in some health authority owned buildings.

The Nuffield Trust eventually decided that the time had come to declare its experiment a success and the Harlow Health Centres were put on the market. Harlow District Council was persuaded to guarantee the principle established by the Nuffield Trust by purchasing all the properties and creating an independent "Harlow Health Centres Trust".

In September 2005 the new Nuffield House two storey building was opened. It is situated on the same site as the old building. Close to The Stow which is the local shopping centre for the surrounding area.

In the new building on the ground floor there are 7 GP consultation rooms, 1 Advanced Nurse Practitioner consultation room, 4 Practice Nurse clinic rooms, and 1 Healthcare Assistant clinic room. There is also a minor procedure room and nurse office.

The first floor accommodates the Administration team and Practice Manager offices, a Library/Seminar room and Staff room.

Also on the first floor are Speech and Language Therapy rooms and Health Visitor rooms.

There are a few parking bays for people with disabilities - a valid 'Blue Badge' must be displayed; public car parking is available nearby.

The Local Setting

Before the end of the war, plans were drawn for the redevelopment of London and the dispersal of people and industry to several new towns beyond the metropolitan green belt. Harlow was one of the first sites chosen and the first residents moved into homes built in and around the original villages in 1949. There then followed the development of the first major area of the new town at The Stow, where our practice premises are situated.

The town was built to a master-plan by Sir Frederick Gibberd on a system of self-contained neighbourhoods, each with their own shopping centre and community facilities (including a health centre). The neighbourhoods themselves are separated by wide areas of green space and are clustered around the main shopping area known as The High.

This master-plan is now more or less complete and the local council has recently published for public consultation a new plan for the continued development of the town over the coming years.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website